To reaffirm and further strengthen the resolve of two brotherly countries to bring sustainable peace in the region, Afghan - Pak Joint Peace Jirga was convened in
The main recommendations made by the first Joint Peace Jirga are summarized as follows:
1. Joint Peace Jirga strongly recognizes the fact that terrorism is a common threat to both countries & the war on terror should continue to be an integral part of the national policies and security strategies of both countries. The participants of this jirga unanimously declare to an extended, tireless and persistent campaign against terrorism and further pledge that government and people of
2. The Joint Peace Jirga resolved to constitute a smaller Jirga consisting of 25 prominent members from each side that is mandated to strive to achieve the following objectives:
a. Expedite the ongoing process of dialogue for peace and reconciliation with opposition.
b. Holding of regular meetings in order to monitor and oversee the implementation of the decisions /recommendations of the Joint Peace Jirga.
c. Plan and facilitate convening of the next Joint Peace Jirgas.
d. Both countries will appoint 25 members each in the committee.
3. The Joint Peace Jirga once again emphasizes the vital importance of brotherly relations in pursuance of policies of mutual respect, non-interference and peaceful coexistence and recommends further expansion of economic, social, and cultural relations between the two countries.
4. Members of the Joint Peace Jirga in taking cognizance of the nexus between narcotics and terrorism condemn the cultivation, processing and trafficking of poppy and other illicit substances and call upon the two governments to wage an all out war against this menace. The Jirga takes note of the responsibilities of the international community in enabling
5. The governments of Islamic Republic of Afghanistan and Islamic Republic of Pakistan, with the support of the international community, should implement infrastructure, economic and social sector projects in the affected areas.
6. The comprehensive and important recommendations made by the five working committees of the Joint Peace Jirga for implementation are attached as annexure and form part and parcel of this joint declaration.